Introduction to Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing
Shotgun metagenomic sequencing provides information on the total genomic DNA from all organisms in a sample, avoiding the need for isolation and cultivation of microorganisms or amplification of target regions. This is crucial because it is believed that nearly 99% of all microorganisms cannot be cultivated in the laboratory. Unlike the targeted approach used in the 16S/18S/ITS amplicon sequencing, shotgun metagenomic sequencing uses next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology to provide not only information on the taxonomic annotations of each organism, but also the functional profiling, gene prediction and microbial interaction of the whole community.
With extensive experience and well-developed bioinformatics pipelines, our services can help you determine the genomes, functions, and variations of microorganisms from diverse samples. Novogene’s shotgun metagenomic sequencing service delivers high-quality data, publication-ready results, and personalized analysis to meet different research objectives. Novogene offers comprehensive metagenomics solutions, from the study of community structure and species classification to system evolution, gene function, and metabolic network of environmental microorganisms.
Applications of Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing
From taxonomic profiling to functional analysis and metabolic networks, shotgun metagenomic sequencing can be used in many different research topics, including:
- Annotation of microbial composition and function
- Detection of microbes of interest related to human health, environmental recovery, and energy synthesis
- Deep investigation of the genetic makeup and metabolism of microbes for drug development
- Investigation of the microbe-host relationship, which can also be related to the development of new drugs
Benifits of Novogene Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing
- Shotgun metagenomic sequencing can be used to sequence multiple microorganisms, all in a single run, without specific isolation and cultivation of microorganisms or the amplification of target regions for either prokaryotes or eukaryotes. The sequencing results provide complete information not only pertaining to microbial diversity, but also functional diversity in the sample.
- Novogene has extensive experience providing metagenomic sequencing services to help clients obtain information about many different sample types, including soil, fecal, and water. Our newly improved metagenome assembly pipeline gives us the ability to provide long-read assembly services. This exciting development has made it possible to achieve complete maps of certain bacteria and fungi for the purposes of taxonomy resolution and functional annotation.
Metagenomic Specifications: DNA Sample Requirements
|Total DNA||≥ 200 ng||≥20 μL||≥ 10 ng/μL||A260/280 = 1.8-2.0|
Note: Sample amounts displayed are for reference only. Download the Service Specifications or Sample Requirements to learn more. For detailed information, please contact us with your customized requests.
Metagenomic Specifications: Sequencing and Analysis
|Sequencing Platform||Illumina NovaSeq 6000|
|Read Length||Pair-end 150 bp|
|Recommended Sequencing Depth||≥ 40 million read pairs per sample for species with reference genome|
|Standard Data Analysis||
Note: Sequencing depths and analysis contents listed are for reference only. Download the Service Specifications to learn more. For detailed information, please contact us.
Project Workflow of Novogene Metagenomic Sequencing Services
In order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the sequencing data, quality control (QC), consistent with our high scientific standards, is performed at each step of the procedure. The shotgun metagenomic sequencing workflow comprises these main steps: sample preparation and quantification, fragmentation and library preparation, library quality control, sequencing, and bioinformatics analysis.
Featured publications with Novogene Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing service
Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing is a flexible approach to obtain microbial genomes among environments (de novo assembly), as well as gene functions (function annotation), and how they interact with each other (pathway analysis). Here presents a list of academic publications that have used Novogene Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing services.
Effects of spaceflight on the composition and function of the human gut microbiota
Gut MicrobesIssue Date: 2020 Jul 3IF: 7.740DOI: 10.1080/19490976.2019.1710091
The chemodiversity of paddy soil dissolved organic matter correlates with microbial community at continental scales
MicrobiomeIssue Date: 19 October 2018IF: 11.607DOI: 10.1186/s40168-018-0561-x
Hypoxia induces senescence of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells via altered gut microbiota
Nature CommunicationsIssue Date: 2018 May 22IF: 12.121DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-04453-9
Age-associated microbiome shows the giant panda lives on hemicelluloses, not on cellulose
ISME JournalIssue Date: 01 February 2018IF: 9.180DOI: 10.1038/s41396-018-0051-y
Core-pan Gene Rarefaction Curve
Heatmap for the Relation among samples
Venn Figures for Gene Number among samples
Gene Number & Abundance Clustering Heatmap in genus level
Anosim Analysis at Phylum Level
Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) & Cladogram
Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes (KEGG) Annotation
Evolutionary Genealogy of Genes: Non-supervised Orthologous Groups (eggNOG) Annotation
PCA & NMDS Analysis Results based on relative abundance of gene functions
Comparison Plot for Metabolic Pathway of multi-samples